Wednesday, February 20, 2013

To Donate or Not to Donate

We have spent the last ten years managing Type I Diabetes in our family.  Imagine how frightening it would be to have a three year old boy and a doctor telling us, "Your son needs to go to St. Paul Childrens, IMMEDIATELY!  They are expecting you, we have already called!"  We had no idea what to expect or how we would manage.  Grandmas and Grandpas were frightened of hurting him by testing blood sugar or administering shots.  Mom and Dad were sleep deprived, emotionally drained, and son was managing as best as we could expect any three year old child to do.  As we grew into the disease, we learned more, understood more, and tried to do more.  I still find myself depending upon the doctors, even after ten years.  Understanding what insulin does in our son's body and what his blood sugars need to be is one thing, but making changes that could drop his numbers dangerously low, is another.

We use an Animus Ping insulin pump and it works well for our active, now thirteen, year old.  He plays football in the fall and has played baseball and soccer in the past.  We encourage him to always be active as it tends to help his blood sugars.  He is passionate about fishing and if he could do that all day every day of the year, he would!  Just check out the team shirt below!

I still find there are days where I am dragging from waking up every two hours to test his blood sugar, trying to gain insight as to how to change the basal and bolus rates.  I look at my sleeping baby and stare at his pin-pricked, calloused, discolored fingertips to find a good spot to poke for a test.  I maintain my composure but know in my heart that I would take this on for him if I could!  As we move into this weekend, we as a family, as for your support in finding both advanced treatments and a cure for Type I Diabetes.  Below is a link to our Team Zoubek page for the MOA Walk for a Cure.

Thank you for your support!

Team Zoubek Walk for a Cure

your front designyour back design

No comments:

Post a Comment